Walker County Revenue: Real Property
Walker County Revenue

Real Property

Ad Valorem Taxes

Property (ad valorem) taxes are taxes on real and/or personal property. Real property includes lands and improvements. Personal property refers to items which are movable or not permanently fixed to land.

The Revenue Commissioner is responsible for determining property value which must, by law, be set according to "fair and reasonable market value." Your property is probably not up for sale, but the local appraiser must set the value of the property as if it were "sold" in an "arm's length" transaction between a "willing buyer and a willing seller," neither being under any pressure to buy or sell.

Business Personal Property
Business personal property refers to items that are used in any business and are movable or not permanently fixed to the land.
All persons, corporations, partnerships, etc. owning personal property are subject to ad valorem tax. The property must be listed and assessed in the Revenue Commissioner's office after October 1, but no later than December 31 each year. Failure to make an assessment by the 3rd Monday in January will result in a 10% penalty and fees being added to the tax bill. Business personal property is appraised for taxes by the Revenue Commissioner based on the cost new and allowance for depreciation due to age.

Taxes become due on October 1, the same as real property. However, delinquent personal property is handled differently than real property. Please see definitions of Business Personal Property under title "How Taxes are Collected", below. Personal property sold for taxes cannot be redeemed.

Timetable for Collecting Taxes
Taxes are collected on the following schedule for the year that ended on September 30:

Paying Your Property Tax
If you purchased property during the year, you need to make sure the taxes are paid. The tax bill will usually be in the previous owner's name. You are responsible for taxes on all property you own, no matter how the tax bill may be listed.

Tax notice cards are not required, but a courtesy provided by this office.

The Revenue Commission Office does accept payments by phone AFTER OCTOBER 10th each year. Accuracy and full payment of all parcels and accounts due are taxpayers' responsibility.

Payment may be made as follows:

To pay your property taxes online, CLICK HERE.
Payment of delinquent taxes after February 15th must be paid by cash, certified check or money order.

Property Appraisal
Walker County has approximately 52,000 separate parcels of land that must be individually appraised for tax purposes. Each parcel of land must be described on a property record card. Characteristics about land and building are listed and valued separately and become the basis for establishing fair market value. This information is found in the Revenue Commissioner's office.

The Revenue Commissioner notifies the property owner and is responsible for collecting the correct tax for each parcel of land. You pay taxes at the end of the year, October through December.

Maps that display property boundaries and dimensions are maintained in the Revenue Commissioner's office. These maps are based upon legal descriptions of property transferred by deed and recorded in the Probate Judge's Office. Taxpayers can significantly improve the accuracy of these maps by providing copies of surveys used when transferring ownership. A parcel identification number is used to link ownership records, tax maps and assessment records. While the primary purpose for these maps is to assist assessors and appraisers in the location and valuation of real property, the maps are available for public use along with other property record information maintained in the Mapping Division. Copies of maps and record cards can be obtained for a small charge. The Mapping Division staff is available to provide assistance in locating information but cannot provide help in assembling detailed or large amounts of information such as title searches.

You may access Walker County Alabama real property data, including parcel maps online, through www.walkercountymaps.com.

How Taxes are Calculated
In the state of Alabama, property tax is based on three factors:

-Property Classification
Your Alabama taxes are calculated using your property's Assessed Value. This is determined by multiplying the Appraised Value by the corresponding Property Classification, which is also known as the Assessment Rate. Taxes are based on assessed value less exemption for which you may qualify.

Appraised Value x Property Classification = Assessed Value

-Millage Rate
Millage is the tax rate expressed in decimal form.
A mill is one tenth of one cent. (.001).
10 mills = one penny or $.01
One hundred (100) mills = ten cents or $0.10
1000 mills = one dollar or $1.00

Once the Assessed Value of your property has been determined, multiply it by the appropriate Millage Rate for the area in which you live. The formula is: Assessed Value x Millage Rate = Unadjusted (less exemptions) Tax Bill.

Millage rates are determined by the state, County Commission and other taxing agencies in response to the needs of the County's general fund and the needs of other who receive property tax revenues.

Taxing Authority

Millage Rate

State General Fund
 2.5 mills (0.025)
State Soldier Fund 
1 mill
State School Fund 
3 mills
County General Fund 
6 mills
County Road & Bridge Fund 
3 mills
School General Fund 
5 mills
School District Tax 
3 mills
School District Tax
(ACT 2005-215 County Only) 
2 mills

Total Millage Rates by Location

City of Jasper 
16.5 mills
City of Carbon Hill 13 mills
City of Cordova 
13.5 mills
City of Dora 
10.1 mills
City of Eldridge 
5 mills
City of Kansas 
5 mills
City of Nauvoo 
6.3 mills
City of Oakman 
6.3 mills
City of Parrish 
5 mills
City of Sipsey 
6.1 mills
City of Sumiton 6.0 mills

$100, 000 (Appraised)x (Residential Rate:10%) = $10,000 (Assessed)

$10,000 (Assessed) x .034 (Unincorporated rate) =$340.00 (Tax Amount)

After determining your unadjusted tax bill as shown above, subtract any exemptions you might have. This gives you the adjusted tax bill.

Unadjusted Tax Bill - Exemptions = Adjusted Tax Bill

A homestead exemption is defined as a single-family owner-occupied dwelling and the land thereto, not exceeding 160 acres. The property owner may be entitled to a homestead exemption if he or she owns a single-family residence and occupied it as their primary residence on the first day of the tax year for which they are applying. A homeowner can claim four different types of exemption in the State of Alabama. To apply for a homestead exemption, please visit the Revenue Commissioner's office at the Walker County Courthouse.

How Taxes are Collected
Property (Ad Valorem) taxes apply to real and/or business personal property.

Upon receiving a written notice of change of valuation, the property owner has 30 days from date of notice to file an appeal with the Walker County Board of Equalization. Following your appeal, the Appraisal Department may conduct a field audit, if needed, as well as review any supporting information provided by the taxpayer. Should this process still not result in a value agreeable to the taxpayer, a hearing before the Board of Equalization will be scheduled. Following this hearing, you will be notified of the decision of the Board of Equalization. If, after this hearing, you are still not satisfied, you may appeal to the Circuit Court.

In order to preserve your right to carry the appeal process to Circuit Court, taxes must be paid by December 31, or a bond filed in Circuit Court in double the amount of taxes due.

Each taxpayer is required by Alabama Law (Code s40-7-1) to provide a complete list of all property which is owned. The person acquiring property is responsible for reporting to the Revenue Commissioner a complete legal description of the property and should at that time claim any exemptions for which he is eligible. The Revenue Commissioner should be furnished a correct mailing address for all properties. The property owner must report any changes in ownership to the Revenue Commissioner. All assessments and bills are based upon ownership and status as of October 1 each year.

Adding or Removing Improvements
The law requires that owners, or their agents, must come to the Revenue Commissioner's Office, no later than December 31st, to sign a new assessment officially reporting any improvements or any removal of structures or features from their property completed on or before October 1st of that year.

Examples of improvements that need to be assessed would include new structures, new additions, swimming pools, extensive repairs, remodeling, or renovations; adding a fireplace, extra bath, patio, deck, carport, garage, etc. However, such things as re-roofing, minor repairs and painting, (normal maintenance type items), would not require a reassessment.

Generally speaking, any work done that would more than nominally increase the value of property would constitute an assessable improvement.

Steps to Follow When Purchasing Real Property

Owners of 5 acres or more of farmland, pastureland or timberland that is producing agricultural products, livestock or wood products may apply for current use exemption. This exemption allows for property to be assessed at less than market value when used only for the purposes specified.

Any owner of eligible property must make a formal application to the Revenue Commissioner's Office if he or she wishes to claim current use. The current use applications may be obtained from the Revenue Commissioner's Office at any time of the year, but under the law they must be filed with the Revenue Commissioner's Office on or after October 1, but no later than January 1, for that tax year.

After current use has been granted, the owner who made application for current use does not have to re-apply for subsequent years. However, if the property ownership is transferred or the name has been changed by deed or will, the new owner will have to file an application for current use or his or her taxes will be based on fair market value rather than current use values.

(NOTE: All of the exemptions named below are available on primary residence only. Applicant cannot have homestead on another home anywhere else.)

Proof of age, when required, may be established by a driver's license, birth certificate, insurance forms, church records, school records, etc.

To prove disability, you must furnish a statement attesting your disability. We can accept your Social Security Award Letter stating the date you were awarded your total disability or two Physician Affidavit forms filled out and signed by your physicians. Other examples of proof could be: Veteran Affairs document, Alabama Retirement document, Private Company Annuity document, etc. You may obtain the Physician Affidavit from our office or on the State of Alabama Revenue Department website.

Exemptions should be applied for before December 31 of each year based upon status (owner occupied, age 65, and "Totally Disabled" or Totally & Permanently Disabled") of property and claimant before October 1 of the tax year following.